A New Name

arrow8 Comments

1. Beckie
    Oct 08 - 6:12 pm

I know it shouldn’t, but this made me giggle because thisisexactlywhatIdo! I could see my own prayers all the way through, so it was the knowing chuckle of “i know where she’s going with this!” Daniel et al. feel so overwhelmingly awesome, its a book I both love and am terrified of.

Prayer is so often where my true beliefs get displayed – my real view of God’s goodness and His sovereignty are displayed not by the creed I recite or the public declaration I make but by the prayers on the quiet of my room. Sobering thought.

2. Lizzi
    Oct 08 - 6:37 pm

Emma, seriously, I found your blog over the weekend and I’m already in love with it. Thanks so much for this, I needed it. Facing a furnace at the moment, and really needed those reminders. Thank you.

3. Jenni Osborn
    Oct 08 - 7:27 pm

“Question is: Is the god I’m following just a slightly bigger version of me?

…Or is He the God who leads me into the furnace, but walks there with me?”

Spot on! We so often make God just slightly bigger than ourselves and kinda like our puppet God, doing what we want, when we want it cos He loves us! But He is the God of the furnace, walking with us all the time… I love that Daniel verse ‘we know our God is big enough to save us but even if he doesn’t we won’t bow to you’ Now there’s faith for you…

xx

4. David Baker
    Oct 08 - 8:04 pm

There’s a good book, by Ronald Dunn, called “When Heaven Is Silent.” It’s well worth getting, and I’d recommend it to anyone: see http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Heaven-Silent-Authentic-Classics/dp/1850785902/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349726594&sr=1-1

There’s a quote he uses at one point from Robert Frost:
    “But it was of the essence of the trial
    You shouldn’t understand it at the time.
    It had to seem unmeaning to have meaning.”

5. Emma
    Oct 10 - 7:13 pm

Hi Beckie – yes, the things we pray in private reveal a lot about our real desires and beliefs. Sometimes when I’m stuck, I’ll read out what others pray or the psalms, because they get the emotions I’m feeling, but then go back to the Lord. Left to my own devices I can act like I’m taking things to God but actually not let go of them.

6. Emma
    Oct 10 - 7:14 pm

Praying for you Lizzi x

7. Emma
    Oct 10 - 7:16 pm

Hi Jenni – it’s amazing faith isn’t it? But we follow the same God, and He’s not just the object of our faith, but the One who gives it to us. So there’s hope for us mustard-seeds too

8. Emma
    Oct 10 - 7:17 pm

Thanks so much David – we’ve got a copy at home, but I’ve never read it. And love the Frost quotation.