A New Name

arrow9 Comments

1. Cat
    May 18 - 3:32 pm

Emma this is so cool! I have been thinking along the same lines this week – that life just isn’t a set of report cards that you want to balance off against each other (Not that good-looking, but quite good at sport… etc)

This is such good news!

2. Jess
    May 18 - 4:26 pm

Reading that, I feel like someone’s just ripped away all my masks and facades, leaving me so very vulnerable. I wish I could live that way, but I don’t know how to have a relationship with God, I can never sustain one, and I wish he could look at me like that, but I know I am bad.

3. Emma
    May 18 - 7:52 pm

great minds cat..

4. Emma
    May 18 - 7:59 pm

Jess, I know you don’t feel it, but this is the truth: col 1:22: Christ has presented us to God, holy in God’s sight, without blemish and free from accusation.

God looks at you and loves you. I know this because the Bible promises it. All of us are bad. None of us can live the way God wants us to. He loves us first and He guarantees our relationship: all we can do is cry out ‘help’ and He does it all. That’s why it’s such good news – it’snot about our doing, it’s about Him.

Do you belong to a church – and if so, could you chat to your pastor about this relationship with God? That’s what church is for – to help us when we don’t know how to move ahead. x

5. Jess
    May 20 - 2:27 pm

I don’t know whether I’ve ever accepted Jesus- I’ve been indirectly told that slipping as I am means I’ve never properly grasped the gospel, but I’ve tried so hard to do so. It seems to mean that he doesn’t see me as that verse says because I’ve never managed to do the Christian thing. I go to a church, I’ve chatted to a youth pastor but I can’t make things better.

6. Katie
    May 20 - 4:48 pm

Thanks so much for this Emma – just what I need to hear right now :) x

7. […] AMAZING blog from Emma Scrivener on exactly what I’ve been struggling with recently – serious love for her right […]

8. Emma
    May 20 - 7:51 pm

Hey Jess,

None of us ever ‘properly grasp the gospel’ and we all slip all the time. Jesus has seen through our masks all our lives. He doesn’t wait until we clean ourselves up and become respectably Christian. He loves the sinful, shameful versions of us.

“While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8

Jesus didn’t die for ‘prettied up’ Jess but for the Jess who doesn’t even know how to be a Christian. Take God at His word and talk to an older, trusted Christian friend about this.

God loves you Jess – praying for you,

Emma

9. Jess
    May 21 - 6:19 pm

Thank you- your kindness is a beautiful thing!