A New Name

arrow13 Comments

1. Tim Wright
    Jan 28 - 10:19 pm

I have found that there is a difference between thinking a negative thought and living in a negative reality. I have found that the only ministry that has actually has shifted my reality and increased my intimacy with The Father, Son and The Holy Spirit is as you say when the spirit has come to minister to the root of my belief and take the pain away of the initial entry of the emotional wounding. Theophostic Prayer, Sozo, Healing Prayer. As a Christian I would encourage people to look into getting at the root of the lie that you believe. Blessings

2. Glen
    Jan 29 - 10:07 am

Thank you Tim. Yes ‘getting to the root’ of the lies we believe is so important. Ephesians 4 puts this right at the heart of our life together in Christ.

3. Lucy
    Jan 29 - 1:53 pm

So true that we need “a demonstration of the Spirit’s power” not just words – but what do you do when that doesn’t seem to come?

4. Glen
    Jan 29 - 2:32 pm

Hi Lucy, I chose the phrase deliberately because in 1 Corinthians 1 and 2, Paul links it to the simple preaching of Christ and Him crucified. The Spirit’s power is at work in a people who are gathered around the Word of the Gospel and around the Lord’s Table. It’s not necessarily a flashy thing. It’s actually a very ordinary thing – a weak looking thing to the eyes of the Greeks and Jews who demand wise words and miracles. Yet when the Lord’s people get together around the message of the cross the Spirit can work something more powerful than CBT ever could (even though it’s useful!).

Glen

5. Lucy
    Jan 29 - 8:14 pm

Thank you Glen – that’s really helpful

6. ruth
    Jan 30 - 10:55 pm

I have found it useful to apply (ie read, remember, pray) God’s truth to my negative thoughts. I.e. bible verses, in the context of the gospel & not taken out of context. I feel worthless, but “how great is the love that the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. And that is what we are!” (1 john 3:1?). I am upset by someone/feel angry/belittled, but if I remember that “all have sinned & fallen short of the glory of God” (romans) AND “God so loved the WORLD…that he gave his one & only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not die but hv eternal life” (john 3:16) ie God loves me & them equally, & I am as much a sinner as them (no more, no less). I have been helped by church family-wise & loving ppl who point me back to Jesus. Reading more of the bible has helped, as has listening to verses to music (i hv little kids & I benefit more than them from learning bible verse based songs!). So I think the Spirit works through his word, it don’t need to be an “experience”. And thru praying. I hv found snippet prayers during the day good. “Lord help me remember this” “God help me to know you as the loving God you are” etc.

7. Debs
    Jan 31 - 1:24 pm

Helpful article Glen, thanks. Thinking about the draw-backs of CBT in a Christian context (really helpful analysis in your full-length article, thanks), the work of CCEF addresses these: you might already know about it but there’s a launch conference for CCEF’s work in the UK on 23rd Feb – http://www.ccef.org/uk
    I’ve certainly found the biblical counselling approach developed by CCEF (How People Change) really helpful in heart-change, through the gospel, in addressing my ED and the underlying idols of my heart (though it’s very much a work-in-progress!)

8. Caitlin
    Feb 10 - 9:41 am

Hi Emma/Glen,
    For a Christian struggling with depression or other emotional/mental issues how do you think the use of CBT can work out practically. I’ve often wondered if seeing a ‘secular’ psychiatrist or therapist could do more harm than good because it points inwards rather than to God and you would get a conflict in advice from church and advice from your treatment?

9. Glen
    Feb 10 - 3:07 pm

Hi Caitlin,
    I guess we’re always getting a conflict of advice between the church and the world but as long as people are prayerfully thinking things through and listening through gospel filters, there’s nothing fatally “toxic” about CBT I don’t think. I would be much more uncertain about ongoing counselling done from a Freudian or Jungian perspective, but CBT is both relatively short-term and not particularly wedded to deeper philosophies of life and meaning. Literally it’s about examining your beliefs and seeing if they match up to reality. To me that’s almost the definition of repentance (Romans 12:2). It would be much better if “transformation by the renewing of our minds” happened in the context of a worshipping community, explicitly under the word, and I would love Christians to take much more responsibility for pastoring each other with the gospel rather than going down the road to “the professionals”, but if your GP offers you 6 sessions with an NHS counsellor I don’t think it’d be the worst thing in the world. If such sessions were surrounded by prayer and talked through with trusted Christian friends, they might be quite useful.

Again, there’s longer term counselling out there with much more anti-gospel rationales and I’m not recommending them. But CBT doesn’t seem like such a bad idea to me. But perhaps others here have different experiences/opinions?

10. Emma
    Feb 10 - 3:24 pm

Hi Caitlin

I’ve got a few Christian friends who’ve had CBT (with non-Christians) and they’ve found it very helpful. Most of the work you do yourself, so the time with the counsellor isn’t necessarily the biggest part.

11. […] how you feel to how you behave and changing the way you respond to eg; stress. (See here for more thoughts on CBT and Christianity).  This might involve 40-60mins a week for about 20 sessions; looking at […]

12. Theda
    Jul 26 - 7:06 pm

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins
    to help with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good
    results. If you know of any please share. Thanks!

13. youtube.com
    Jul 27 - 6:35 pm

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post.
    Thanks for providing this information.