or chatting in the playground.
when you’re making small-talk at church lunch
or having a pint with some mates
when you’re preaching to your congregation
or arguing with your partner
this is what is underneath:
- ‘I’ve never had a boyfriend because I don’t believe anyone would love me.’
- ‘My friends think I stopped cutting last year. I didn’t…I just got better at hiding it’
- ‘I hate watching porn because I fear I’ll never look like the girls in them’
- ‘I wish I was a pin up model. But I’m afraid of letting anyone see my body.’
- ‘Last year my friends thought a was a slut. The only reason I took guys back to my room was so that I could pretend I wasn’t alone….and I could keep up the fake smile. This year I go home alone every night so my friends can’t judge me, I was happier when they thought I was a slut, than I am now when they judge me when I cant keep the fake smile up’
- ‘I cheated on you…the boy I want to marry, with someone I don’t see a future with….Because I’ve never been with a guy who didn’t hit me, stalk me, compromise me or continuously put me down…the constant happiness made me anxious. Now I realize my issues hurt you just like they hurt me’.
- ‘I only cry when I’m drunk….I’m terrified this is the only time I feel emotions. But I’m more scared of not feeling anything, which is why I still drink’.
- ‘I started to use drugs to be closer to some of my friends. Now I use drugs because no one is close anymore’.
- ‘I’m afraid to have children… I’m afraid they’ll be like me… and they’ll hurt me like I hurt my parents’.
- ‘I let everyone walk all over me because I’m afraid of someday being the lonely woman with 50 cats’
- ‘I don’t know how to tell my parents I’m anorexic. They think I’m perfect’
- ‘I don’t know why anyone wants to be pretty. I hate being beautiful. I hate that you’re only nice to because of how I look’
- ‘I was in love with my best friend. We’re both girls. I never told her. We have lost touch. But I think she knew’.
- ‘I thought if I gave in to what he wanted..sexual favours, then he would learn to love me. but he stopped talking to me.’
- ‘Secretly… I’m afraid to be myself I worry people will hate me because I’m too negative. I’m also afraid I’ll poison their outlook on life. I feel like I’m wearing a mask. I’ve been wearing it for years. I’m scared to take it off. I wish you could help me’.
- ‘I remember once thinking that I wouldn’t care if you died. Now you’re gone and .. I’d do anything to bring you back’.
- ‘When I was little my father molested me I have never told anyone. Because of him I have a secret in my happy marriage. And I hate it’.
- ‘Maybe if I was skinny, I would have friends’.
- ‘I still want to marry you Even though you left me because you thought I was ungodly for having sex with you’
- ‘In 2007 I tried to commit suicide. Every day I am more and more thankful I didn’t succeed. It took almost dying to get me to start living. I thank GOD daily for saving me and showing me what’s worth living for’.
- ‘I pretend to be the “good girl”, when really I’m not. My family has no idea who I really am. If they did…. they would hate me’.
- ‘I love you so much that’s why I’m afraid my depression will scare you off’.
- ‘I didn’t fall. I threw myself off’
Taken from postsecret.com – where people write in anonymously and share something they haven’t told anyone else.